UPM has made an investment decision to construct a 2,1 million tonne greenfield eucalyptus pulp mill near Paso de los Toros in central Uruguay. Besides the mill, the total investment of USD 3 billion also includes a pulp terminal in the port of Montevideo as well as investments in local facilities in Paso de los Toros.
Significant boost to economy and regional development. The pulp mill project is proceeding at full speed according to the planned schedule.
- More than 6,000 people are currently working on the pulp mill project at various construction sites under continued strict Covid-19 protocols.
- At the pulp mill site in Paso de los Toros, the assembly phase with mechanical erection continues to progress in all main process areas. Parts of the civil work have been completed. Commissioning works will proceed in the coming months.
- Large scale cargo transfers from the UPM Fray Bentos port to the new mill site continue on a weekly basis including the transports of machinery, equipment, and structures necessary for the construction of the pulp mill.
- All temporary or permanent housing solutions built for those working for the project are in use.
- The pulp terminal continues to grow in the port of Montevideo. The construction of different structures and the roofing of pulp warehouse was completed. The unloading line for the railway was also completed, whereas work continues on the port dock.