UPM has made an investment decision to construct a 2,1 million tonne greenfield eucalyptus pulp mill near Paso de los Toros in central Uruguay. Besides the mill, the total investment of USD 3 billion also includes a pulp terminal in the port of Montevideo as well as investments in local facilities in Paso de los Toros.
Significant boost to economy and regional development. The pulp mill project is proceeding at full speed according to the planned schedule.
- The project is proceeding according to the planned schedule. There are currently 4,000 people working on the project at the different construction sites.
- At the Paso de los Toros pulp mill site, construction and assembly works related to the production areas are progressing. Work also continues on the wood chip storage area and pulp warehouses.
- At the pulp terminal in the port of Montevideo, a large part of the pulp storage area is completed. Works continue on the areas of unloading, tanks, port dock and main pier.
- The temporary and permanent housing construction works are proceeding in the final stages.
- At the construction site of the new tree nursery in Sarandí del Yí, greenhouses are being assembled, and the foundations and sanitary installations of related buildings are progressing.