UPM is building a 2.1 million tonne greenfield eucalyptus pulp mill near Paso de los Toros in central Uruguay. The mill is scheduled to start production by the end of March in 2023. Besides the mill, the total investment of USD 3.47 billion also includes a pulp terminal in the port of Montevideo as well as investments in local facilities in Paso de los Toros.
Significant boost to economy and regional development. The pulp mill project is proceeding at full speed according to the planned schedule.
Commissioning continues to progress in all process areas and preparatory activities are underway for the scheduled start-up by the end of the first quarter of 2023:
- Construction works of the Paso de los Toros mill were finalised in December 2022
- Finalization of the electrical, instrumental and automation works and commissioning are progressing
- Auxiliary boilers and power boiler commissioned
- Water intake and water treatment process as well as the process air system are in use
- Recovery boiler testing is advancing well
- Chemical and wood transports to the mill site have started as part of the preparations for the start up
- As the project has entered its final phases, the number of people working on the project has significantly reduced and continues to rapidly decline.